Monday, September 7, 2009

Week 1 - Virginia Tech

Tide Fans –
Another Chick-Fil-A Kickoff Classic….another big win for The Tide! What a great way to start the season!! You know it is a good game when the next morning you have no voice, your insides hurt, and your calves are sore from jumping up and down. For some reason I always feel as if I have played in the game. It is probably because I am getting older, or it could be from the hours of screaming, yelling, cheering, jumping, stressing, and arguing with opposing fans - but I swear I almost felt like I needed to head to the training room on Sunday. Roll Tide to that!

There were many unknowns for us heading into the game Saturday night. How was our QB going to play? How was our offensive line going to be? Who has the flu? Did anyone else get shot? I for one am just glad the season finally started. I thought I was going to have a stroke a few days before the game due to all the distractions. Players getting shot, the flu, and NCAA rulings on eligibility. I wanted to call Coach Saban Monday night and ask if they could just put the entire team in a hermetically sealed padded room until kickoff – I could not believe all the crap they have had to deal with this week! Thankfully, it all worked out.

The atmosphere in the Georgia Dome was once again electric! Just about an even split of Alabama faithful and Virginia Tech fans. It was loud, and rowdy before the game – outside and inside the dome. Virginia Tech felt very confident they were going to beat us. I of course felt the exact opposite, and gladly shared that thought with thousands of other people. I knew in the back of my mind that if our offense could not get the job done, our defense would…and they did!

Even though the score was only 10 points different at the end…Alabama whipped the Virginia Tech Hokies! I believe they really only earned one of their touchdowns…the rest were gifts from our mental mistakes. Their offense could do nothing against our ridiculously quick pass rush. Tyrod Taylor ran for his life for most of the game. Yes, they were beating us at half, but we were still winning the war – I knew we were going to rise up in the second half, eliminate stupid mistakes, and take control of the game. It took a little longer than I wanted, but when the fourth quarter came around, the Tide turned drastically. Pounding defense, and some powerful runs, throws, and catches brought home a big win for Alabama.

Although I thought Greg McElroy did a good job in his debut in a huge game, I have to give the game ball to Mark Ingram. He took control of the game, and ran like he was possessed. Running over would be tacklers, and finding the end zone when we needed it…truly amazing. He is a stud, and he has a strong first place hold on my official “Man Crush” of the season. I have to give props to Roy Upchurch as well – I just freaking love when he gets the ball. Upchurch was a heat seeking missile that sought out linebackers and then ran them over! Please watch the highlights of his runs – he literally knocks out one of Va. Tech’s linebackers after lowering his shoulder and running over him…it is awesome!! Roy Upchurch has no idea how much I love his style of running.

Back to McElroy – I believe he was very solid. For a first time start in a huge atmosphere against a top 10 team…he delivered. After watching the replay twice, I noticed how many smart decisions he made in the game that many people don’t notice. A couple of time he was sacked, and took the sack for good reason – there was nowhere to throw the ball. He also ran very wisely when he had to, and did a pretty good job! He made the throws when we needed them – some of them very gutsy! I thought his overall game management was very good. McElroy is very smart, and very talented and is going to be a very good quarterback for us!

Other players I want to mention. Darius Hanks had a couple of huge clutch catches – he stepped it up big time! Julio was basically triple covered on every play, so someone else needed to step it up and Hanks did just that. On defense - there are so many good players, but I just want to mention a few. Huge shout out to Brandon Deaderick who on Monday night was shot, and played on Saturday…that is awe inspiring! A name I knew would be big this year, Marcel Dareus. We are going to see him sacking the QB a lot this season. Javier also played great defense and had some big quick hits when he was called to blitz…he is lightning fast on the corner blitz!! Our defense just swarms to the ball – I love it!

Last shout out goes to Brian Selman and PJ Fitzgerald. Yes – I gave a shout out to the long snapper and punter. Selman downed one punt on the 5 yard line, and then recovered a fumble on another. PJ was very consistent with his punts – great job!
As I mentioned earlier – Virginia Tech was lucky to even be in this game. We gave them so many gifts. This is a point I argued over with a couple of cocky Hokie fans after the game. Many of you reading this blog were witness to this argument which I of course felt like I won and was correct on every point! (almost all of them) I ended the argument by letting the two Hokie fans know how I felt about the ACC and that I predicted Ga. Tech would beat them. They did not like that prediction. ACC fans seriously think they have an awesome conference and I just had to laugh about that. Really…I mean really???? Don’t ever argue with me about SEC vs. ACC you are not going to win. I bet that guy felt pretty stupid with his “Beat Bama” shirt on after the game.

Tide Fans it is going to be another fun season, so get ready! The Tide is going to do lots of damage this year, and I for one believe we will be heading back to Atlanta in December! With our offense only going to get better, and our defense just ridiculous already…I feel very good about what lies ahead. We have a couple of warm up games the next few weeks, so hopefully this will give our team more time to gel, and be ready to take on the SEC. Let’s keep our players healthy, eligible, and gunshot wound free!

Until next week…Roll Tide!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude-well said--A.C.C. stands for another crappy conference--I loved everything about the game and never was in doubt that the tide would lose! They are so well conditioned they seem to get stronger as the game goes on! The only thing that dissapointed me was the lack of a hit violent enough to not just, "separate the man from the ball" as coach morrow would say, but to, "separate the head from the body". Hopefully they will work on that enough to be able to do it when we play florida!! I have a very wet dream where rolando and dante hit tebow in unison-completely and instantly stopping his body's forward momentum--just not the momentum of his head and neck.Which ironically comes off his body completely, bounces off javies foot, and has so much forward and upward inertia that it is caromed 58 yards through our goal post and we are awarded 3 points for an old fashioned drop kick!!!!! rmftr!!! Rack EM!