Sunday, January 10, 2010

National Championship

Tide Fans –

“Remember the Rose Bowl…we’ll win then!” A perfect place for us to finish our perfect season…undefeated, and National Champions for the 13th time! What an incredible year, what an incredible coach, and what an amazing team. I have witnessed a lot of Alabama football in my life, but there has never been a year quite like this. The ups and downs of nail biting finishes, to complete and total domination of our opponents – we have seen just about everything. We fought and scratched our way through the season with more “pluck and grit” than I have ever seen from a Bama team. It is a season I will never forget, and yes, one that I am sure I will tell my grandkids about over and over. The Alabama Crimson Tide is the 2009 National Champion - it is truly official now…Bama is BACK!

Standing in my seat in the Rose Bowl minutes before kickoff, I made a quick call home to check in. My 6 year old daughter spoke to me and I could not help but tear up when she asked if Alabama was going to win “the big trophy”. It was then that I truly realized that I was about to watch Alabama play for the National Championship. I had not missed a game all season, sacrificing precious time with my family, and it just all hit me at once when I spoke to her. Before I write one more comment about the game or this team I must thank my wonderful wife who allowed me to have my “perfect season”. I know you were not physically with me at all the games, but you and the kids were always on my mind through every second of the season. I cannot thank you enough, and I love you soo much!

In case you already forgot, The Alabama Crimson Tide are National Champs…again!!!! Hallelujah! It still really has not sunk in to me that we just won the National Championship!!! I have read every article in the papers, and even picked up the commemorative Sports Illustrated – it’s just taking some time to set in. I’m sure when the first Auburn douche says something to me…it will completely soak in. I will smile and say, “Yes, yes we are National Champs” and then remember how irritated they seem to get when we win. Ahhhhhh…sweet irritated Auburn fans…I love it! I know there are a few good Auburn fans out there, and even some who read this blog, but the majority of them were all pulling for Texas, and if they deny it then they are lying! For the few Aubs that were truly pulling for Alabama (or the SEC) – thank you for your support. For all the Auburn fans that were pulling for Texas…I have 13 reasons why you shouldn’t!

How awesome was it to watch Alabama win their latest championship on the same field we won our first! For those who have never been it is truly an awesome spectacle, nestled in the San Gabriel Mountains surrounded by old eucalyptus trees, and the ghosts of past champions. The Rose Bowl is rich in history and tradition…but there are some things it is not rich in…like bathrooms, and concessions. Don’t get me wrong…I love a tradition rich stadium, but there is absolutely something entirely wrong with the design of the Rose Bowl. You have to leave the stadium to go to the bathroom, which somewhat resembled the bathrooms on the infield of the Talladega Superspeedway. Also, after you make the 20 minute trek through one of the “tunnels of death” you then stand in a nice line for the bathrooms or for concessions. I would hate for there ever to be a situation where fans had to get out of the stadium quickly, because it is just not possible. If you ever go, bring something to pee in, and something to eat or you will miss a good portion of the game!

Speaking of the game…what an incredible one! We all got our money’s worth out of this one. To watch Texas score 2 quick field goals, and then to watch Bama pound the ball down the field was awesome. Mark Ingram took the Heisman jinks and ran all over it! Our running game was just old school ridiculous – and I really love the fact that we ran all over the number 1 ranked rushing defense! Take that Bevo!! Texas mounted a solid comeback, but once again Bama’s defense seals the deal at the end. What a great game! I guess I will have to address the Colt McCoy issue…yes – I know McCoy did not play for most of the game, but that does not diminish our victory in any way. Alabama was not playing Colt McCoy…Alabama was playing Texas, and many people seem to forget that. You cannot sit and speculate on how the game would have been different, because how does anyone know? We had a completely different defensive scheme for Colt, and had to completely adjust everything when he went out. Who is to say we would not have shut him down just like Tebow…nobody knows. No team should rely so heavily on one player, and I for one would be pissed at Mack Brown if I were a Texas fan for not having played my backup in some of the blowout games earlier this season. Texas can bitch and moan all they want, but we won the game, and we are National Champs!

There are so many things I want to cover, but I just don’t think I will have to time to squeeze them all in this blog. So many players to talk about, and to thank for giving it their all. Players we will truly miss like Javey, Cody, Mike Johnson, Tiffin, Washington, Deaderick, PJ, Upchurch (my boy Roy!!), and possibly Rolondo McClain should he decide to come out early. Thank you seniors and thank you Rolondo for all you have done for this team – you are true champions, and we will never forget you!

Words cannot truly express how incredible this season has been. An undefeated season, an SEC Championship, a Heisman Trophy, and our 13th National Title…WOW! (no, I was not trying to sound like Vern Lundquist there). I hope everyone has enjoyed this season as much as I have. From Georgia to Alabama to Kentucky, Mississippi, and California…we have won them all across the land. I will never forget this season, and all the experiences I have had with friends and family along the way. I am truly happy, but exhausted now, and like Forrest Gump said…"I’m kind of tired…I think I’ll go home now”

Enjoy this Bama fans…enjoy every minute of it – I know I will!

Until next season…Roll Tide Roll! We are number 1!!!!

Jason

3 comments:

Seale said...

I got into a discussion with a Texas fan yesterday about the "If Colt had played Texas would have won" arguement. I was quick to point out 2 issues:

1. It is not like Colt had the flu or got suspended from the game or something. WE KNOCKED HIM OUT OF THE GAME. It was strong defensive pressure and a good clean hit from our guys that forced him out of the game.

2. Could Texas say the same for their win against Oklahoma? If their very unimpressive win against Oklahoma after Bradford got knocked out of the game is a "legit" win, then why wouldn't Alabama's win be legit?

But you said it best. Alabama was playing Texas. Not McCoy. McCoy was not responsible for Texas allowing 2 Bama runners to gain over 100 yards. They had a true freshman at QB in the national championship game. So? We had a true freshman at RB. I have been very disappointed at the Texas (and Auburn) fans who are trying to downplay the accomplishment. That is being, by its definition, a sore loser...

Jason said...

Well said Mr. Seale...well said! RTR

Greg Cusimano said...

It was great and great to be there. The 3rd quarter was like watching paint dry, but we did what we needed to do when we needed to do it! I’m enjoying every minute of it!
Greg